Tirosint Side Effects
If you are taking Tirosint, you may develop side effects such as insomnia, diarrhea, or difficulty breathing. If symptoms do occur while using this medication, it is likely because your dosage is too high. It is important to contact your healthcare provider immediately if you develop any reactions while taking this medication, as some side effects can be potentially serious.
An Introduction to Tirosint Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects may occur while taking Tirosint® (levothyroxine sodium). However, not everyone who uses the medication will have problems. Most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the potential side effects of Tirosint. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Possible Side Effects of TirosintTirosint side effects typically occur when the dose is too high. Too much thyroid hormone causes symptoms of an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism). Some of these symptoms can be quite dangerous and any of these symptoms should be reported to your healthcare provider, as they may signal that your Tirosint dosage needs to be adjusted. These side effects include:
- An increased appetite, along with weight loss
- Feeling hot all the time and increased sweating
- Hyperactivity, nervousness, anxiety, or irritability
- Insomnia (see Levothyroxine and Insomnia)
- Emotional changes
- Shakiness or muscle weakness
- Heart palpitations
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Heart failure, chest pain, or a heart attack
- Difficult or painful breathing
- Diarrhea, vomiting, or abdominal cramps (stomach cramps)
- Hair loss (see Levothyroxine and Hair Loss)
- Broken bones or other signs of weakened bones
- Menstrual problems or fertility problems
As with any medication, Tirosint can also cause allergic reactions. Seek medical attention immediately if you develop signs of an allergic reaction, including:
- An unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling, especially of the lips, mouth, or throat.