When and How to Take SynthroidGeneral considerations for when and how to take Synthroid include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken once a day in the morning.
- It is best to take it on an empty stomach, 30 to 60 minutes before breakfast.
- If necessary (such as for young children), a Synthroid tablet may be crushed and mixed with one or two teaspoons of water. This mixture must be taken immediately (it should not be stored).
- Try to take your dosage at the same time each day to keep an even level in your blood.
- Your healthcare provider will adjust your dose based on certain blood tests. Be sure to tell your healthcare provider if you have missed any of your doses, as this may affect any dose adjustments.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The drug will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing Information for SynthroidThe dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- The results of certain thyroid blood tests
- Any other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Synthroid Dosage for more information.)