For most adults, the recommended dosage of saxagliptin for treating type 2 diabetes is 2.5 or 5 mg once daily. Although no dosing adjustment is necessary for people with mild kidney disease, those with moderate to severe kidney disease will need a lower dose (2.5 mg once a day).
Saxagliptin Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of saxagliptin (Onglyza™) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- How well your diabetes is controlled
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Recommended Saxagliptin DosingThe recommended saxagliptin dose for treating type 2 diabetes in most adults is 2.5 or 5 mg once daily. No dosage adjustment is required for people with mild kidney disease. The recommended dosage for people with moderate to severe kidney disease (such as kidney failure) is 2.5 mg once daily.
Some medications can increase the level of saxagliptin in the bloodstream. For people taking such medications, the recommended dosage of saxagliptin is 2.5 mg daily (see Drug Interactions With Saxagliptin for more information).
- Saxagliptin comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- The medication can be taken with or without food.
- You can take saxagliptin at any time of the day; however, you should try to take it at the same time every day.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of saxagliptin, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.