Endocrine System Channel
Related Channels

Propylthiouracil Overdose

People who take an overdose of propylthiouracil (PTU) may experience nausea, vomiting, joint pain, and indigestion. The exact effects, however, vary from person to person and will depend on things like how much propylthiouracil is taken. Treatment is essential, and can involve monitoring the person for problems and relieving overdose symptoms. Activated charcoal may also be administered.

Can You Take Too Much Propylthiouracil?

Propylthiouracil (PTU) is an antithyroid medication that is available by prescription only. An overdose with this medication could be dangerous. However, the specific effects of a propylthiouracil overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.

Effects of an Overdose

People who take too much propylthiouracil may experience:
  • Very low blood cells, which can be quite dangerous
  • Hepatitis
  • Peeling of the skin
  • Nerve problems
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Indigestion or heartburn
  • Headache
  • Fever
  • Joint pain
  • Itching
  • Water retention
  • Excitation and hyperactivity or drowsiness and lethargy.

Treating a Propylthiouracil Overdose

The treatment for an overdose also will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider might administer activated charcoal to limit the amount of medication that is absorbed into the bloodstream.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which involves treating any symptoms that arise and carefully monitoring the person for any possible problems. There is no specific antidote for an overdose of propylthiouracil.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on propylthiouracil.
Type 2 Diabetes: Fact or Fiction

Propylthiouracil Medication Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2019 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.