If you take too much methimazole (Tapazole), you may experience symptoms ranging in severity from mild (nausea and heartburn) to potentially dangerous (kidney problems and hepatitis). Treatment options will also vary, depending on when the overdose occurred. With a recent overdose, you may have your "stomach pumped" or may be given activated charcoal to limit the body's absorption of the drug.
Methimazole (Tapazole®) is an antithyroid medication that is available by prescription only. An overdose of this product could potentially be dangerous. The specific effects of a methimazole overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the methimazole dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Joint pain
- Water retention
- Very low blood cells (which can be dangerous)
- Kidney problems
- Peeling of the skin
- Nerve problems
- Excitation and hyperactivity or drowsiness and lethargy.
What Are the Treatment Options?
The treatment for an overdose with methimazole will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider might induce vomiting (or "pump the stomach") and/or administer activated charcoal to limit the amount of medication that is absorbed into the bloodstream.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which involves treating any symptoms that arise as a result of the overdose and carefully monitoring for any possible problems. There is no specific antidote for a methimazole overdose.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much methimazole.