Endocrine System Home > Precautions and Warnings With Rosiglitazone
There are several precautions and warnings with rosiglitazone to be aware of, including potential fluid retention, the possibility of the drug causing macular edema, and the potential risks of taking the medication while pregnant. Also, patients should be aware of possible interactions that can occur when taking this drug with other medications.
Rosiglitazone: What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?Prior to taking rosiglitazone maleate (Avandia®), you should talk with your healthcare provider if you have:
- Heart problems of any kind, especially congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Liver problems, including liver failure or cirrhosis
- An upcoming surgery
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Have problems getting pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Are pre-menopausal without regular menstrual periods.