Endocrine System Home > Insulin Glargine
Insulin glargine can help control blood sugar levels in people with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. It comes in injectable form and is used once a day. The dosage you are prescribed will be based on factors such as other insulins you are taking and other medical conditions you have. Possible side effects include low blood sugar and reactions at the injection site.
What Is Insulin Glargine?Insulin glargine (Lantus®) is a prescription diabetes medication licensed to treat the following conditions:
- Type 1 diabetes in adults and children
- Type 2 diabetes (also known as non-insulin-dependent diabetes or adult-onset diabetes) in adults.
Are There Side Effects?
- Low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia)
- A skin reaction at the injection site
- Thickening or pitting of the skin at the injection site.