Humalog Mix75/25 Overdose
As with any insulin, it is possible to take too much Humalog Mix75/25. Overdose effects will vary, but are likely to include dangerously low blood sugar levels. Symptoms of low blood sugar may include blurry vision, dizziness, and shakiness. Treatment for an overdose will typically involve supportive care, or treating the symptoms that occur as a result.
Can You Overdose on Humalog Mix75/25?Humalog® Mix75/25 (insulin lispro protamine/insulin lispro) is a mixed form of insulin that contains a rapid-acting insulin and an intermediate-acting insulin. As with all insulins, an overdose with Humalog Mix75/25 can be lethal. The specific effects of an overdose may vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Humalog Mix75/25 dosage, dietary or exercise changes, and whether Humalog Mix75/25 was taken with any other medications or substances.
Symptoms of a Humalog Mix75/25 OverdoseAn overdose of Humalog Mix75/25 can be caused by several factors, such as inaccurately measuring a dose or misjudging how much insulin is needed. Also, not eating within 15 minutes after taking a dose may result in overdose symptoms, even if an appropriate dosage was taken.
A Humalog Mix75/25 overdose can cause low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia), which can be dangerous. Some of the early symptoms of low blood sugar include:
- Sweating and/or cold sweats
- Extreme hunger
- Blurry vision.
More severe later symptoms include:
- Loss of coordination
- Difficulty speaking
- Changes in behavior, such as irritability
- Loss of consciousness
- Loss of life.
You will probably discover that you have your own unique set of low blood sugar symptoms. It is a good idea to ask your friends and relatives if they have noticed any low blood sugar signs (you might be surprised at your particular symptoms). Sometimes, seemingly unrelated actions or behaviors, such as scratching your nose, might be signs of low blood sugar.
Anytime you suspect that you have low blood sugar levels, make sure to take immediate action. Also, it is a good idea to let others around you know how to spot your particular signs and how to react, as you may be too confused due to low blood sugar to recognize the signs and respond adequately.