(Click Drug Interactions With Glucophage for more information about these possible interactions.)
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Glucophage if you have:
- Kidney problems, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- Liver problems, including liver failure or cirrhosis
- Low vitamin B12 levels (pernicious anemia)
- Congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Had a heart attack or stroke
- An upcoming surgery or procedure (including x-rays and other radiology procedures)
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Metformin and Pregnancy)
- Are breastfeeding
- Drink alcohol regularly (see Metformin and Alcohol).
Tell your healthcare provider about all of the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Precautions and Warnings For Glucophage for more information on this topic, including information on who should not take this drug.)