Drug InteractionsGlucophage XR can potentially interact with a number of medicines (see Drug Interactions With Glucophage for more information).
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?Prior to taking Glucophage XR, you should talk with your healthcare provider if you have:
- Kidney problems, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- Liver problems, including liver failure or cirrhosis
- Low vitamin B12 levels (pernicious anemia)
- Congestive heart failure (CHF)
- A history of heart attack or stroke
- An upcoming surgery or procedure (including x-rays and other radiology procedures)
- A high level of acid in your blood (metabolic acidosis or diabetic ketoacidosis)
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Metformin and Pregnancy)
- Are breastfeeding
- Drink alcohol regularly (see Metformin and Alcohol).
Tell your healthcare provider about all of the medicines you take, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Precautions and Warnings for Glucophage to learn more, including information on who should not take the drug.)