An Overview of Glimepiride Dosing
The dose of glimepiride
) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Glimepiride Dosage for Type 2 Diabetes
Glimepiride is usually started at a low dose and increased slowly, with the following instructions:
- The recommended starting does is glimepiride 1 mg or glimepiride 2 mg once a day.
- The recommended starting dose for elderly people and people with kidney, liver, adrenal, or pituitary problems is glimepiride 1 mg daily.
- Glimepiride can be used in combination with insulin. In this case, the recommended dose is glimepiride 8 mg daily.
- If necessary, your healthcare provider may slowly increase your glimepiride dosage by 2 mg or less every one to two weeks.
- The maximum recommended dose of glimepiride is 8 mg daily.
General Glimepiride Dosage Information
Patients taking glimepiride should keep the following in mind:
- Glimepiride should be taken by mouth once daily.
- Glimepiride should be taken at the same time every day with breakfast. If you do not eat breakfast regularly, you should take glimepiride with the first main meal of your day.
- If you do not take your glimepiride as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose of glimepiride.
- For glimepiride to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Glimepiride will not work if you take it differently than how your healthcare provider prescribed it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to glimepiride or your glimepiride dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking glimepiride without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.