Cytomel Dose for GoitersFor treating a goiter, the usual recommended starting Cytomel dosage is 5 mcg once daily. Your healthcare provider may increase your dose by 5 or 10 mcg every one to two weeks as necessary until a dose of 25 mcg a day is reached. After that, your healthcare provider may increase your dose by 12.5 to 25 mcg every one or two weeks. Most people end up taking 75 mcg a day.
Some considerations for people taking Cytomel include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take your dosage any time of the day, but it is best to take it consistently at the same time each day.
- You can take Cytomel with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Cytomel will not work if you stop taking it.
- A lower dosage (or a slower increase in dose) may be recommended for children or elderly individuals.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Cytomel dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.