Armour Thyroid Side Effects
Although most people have no problems when taking Armour Thyroid, side effects are possible. If the dosage is too high, symptoms of hyperthyroidism may occur, including hair loss, a rapid heart rate, and high blood pressure. Serious side effects of the product may also occur; seek medical attention immediately if you develop signs of an allergic reaction, such as itching, hives, or unexplained swelling.
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Armour® Thyroid (thyroid USP). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Armour Thyroid. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of side effects with you.)
Side effects typically occur when the Armour Thyroid dosage is too high. Too much Armour Thyroid causes symptoms of an overactive thyroid (known medically as hyperthyroidism). These symptoms can be dangerous, and any of these symptoms should be reported to your healthcare provider, as they may signal that your dosage needs to be decreased.
Side effects of Armour Thyroid may include:
- Heart palpitations
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Heart failure, chest pain, or a heart attack
- Difficult or painful breathing
- An increased appetite, along with weight loss
- Insomnia (see Armour Thyroid and Insomnia)
- Emotional changes
- Hair loss (see Armour Thyroid and Hair Loss)
- Broken bones or other signs of weakened bones
- Menstrual problems or fertility problems
- Shakiness or muscle weakness
- Feeling hot all the time and increased sweating
- Hyperactivity, nervousness, anxiety, or irritability
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Diarrhea, vomiting, or abdominal cramps (stomach cramps)
As with any medication, Armour Thyroid can also cause allergic reactions. In fact, it may have a higher risk for allergic reactions, since it contains ground-up pig thyroid glands. Seek medical attention immediately if you develop signs of an allergic reaction, including:
- An unexplained rash
- Wheezing or difficulty breathing
- Unexplained swelling (especially of the lips, mouth, or throat).