Actoplus Met XR Dosage
Although various factors affect the dose of Actoplus Met XR a person is prescribed, the usual amount when starting treatment is either 15 mg/1000 mg or 30 mg/1000 mg. This medication is taken once a day, even if you are taking two tablets. You may find taking Actoplus Met XR with food helps prevent stomach upset.
An Introduction to Dosing With Actoplus Met XRActoplus Met® XR (pioglitazone and metformin XR) is a combination of two different diabetes medications: pioglitazone hydrochloride (Actos®) and extended-release metformin hydrochloride. The dosage your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How well your diabetes is controlled
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Actoplus Met XR Dosage for DiabetesIf you are switching to Actoplus Met XR from pioglitazone (Actos), the recommended starting dose is Actoplus Met XR 15 mg/1000 mg once a day or Actoplus Met XR 30 mg/1000 mg once a day. If necessary, your healthcare provider may gradually increase this amount up to a maximum of Actoplus Met XR 45 mg/2000 mg once per day.
Even if you take two tablets to achieve the correct Actoplus Met XR dosage, you should take them at the same time (typically with the evening meal), and not split them up throughout the day.
General Information on Taking Actoplus Met XRConsiderations to keep in mind during treatment with Actoplus Met XR include the following:
- It is best to try to take Actoplus Met XR with food in order to prevent stomach upset.
- This medication should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- Be sure to swallow the tablets whole. Do not break, chew, or crush them, as this will cause too much medication to be released too quickly.
- Each tablet has a tiny hole in it. This is normal and is part of the extended-release mechanism. Also, you may see tablet shells in your stool. This is also normal, as the shell does not dissolve.
- For Actoplus Met XR to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Actoplus Met XR, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking this drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.