As with any medication, it is possible to take too much acarbose. Symptoms of an overdose may include gas, diarrhea, and stomach pain. The effects can vary, depending on several factors. In most cases, someone who has taken an overdose of acarbose will be instructed to avoid foods or drinks with carbohydrates for about four to six hours.
Is It Possible to Take Too Much Acarbose?Acarbose (Precose®) is a prescription medication that has been licensed to treat type 2 diabetes. As with all medicines, it is possible to take too much acarbose. The effects of an acarbose overdose will vary depending on a number of factors, including how much acarbose was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs.
If you happen to overdose on acarbose, seek medical attention immediately.
- Abdominal pain (or stomach pain).
Treatment OptionsIn general, an overdose on acarbose is not usually dangerous. Most likely, someone who has taken too much acarbose will be instructed to avoid foods or drinks with carbohydrates for about four to six hours.
In some cases, especially if acarbose was taken with other medications, the healthcare provider may use certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment may also involve supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an acarbose overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Medicines to increase blood sugar (if acarbose was taken with other diabetes medication)
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on acarbose.