Generally, the recommended starting dose of acarbose is 25 mg three times daily with the first bite of each meal. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase the amount slowly, up to a maximum of 100 mg three times per day. If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage, talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.
An Introduction to Dosing With AcarboseThe dose of acarbose (Precose®) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- How well your diabetes is controlled
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Acarbose Dosage for Type 2 DiabetesThe recommended starting dose of acarbose for treating type 2 diabetes is acarbose 25 mg three times daily with the first bite of each meal. As a different option, acarbose can also be started at acarbose 25 mg once daily, slowly increasing up to three times daily (this can help to decrease stomach side effects).
If needed, your healthcare provider may increase your dose slowly up to acarbose 100 mg three times daily. For people weighing less than 132 pounds, the maximum dose is acarbose 50 mg three times daily.
- Acarbose should be taken with the first bite of each main meal (three times per day).
- If you do not take your acarbose as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue on your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose of acarbose.
- For acarbose to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Acarbose will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider prescribed it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or acarbose dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking acarbose without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.